Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Not So Pretty + Ugly = Beautiful


I bought this cabinet during our humble start at a thrift store. I wanted an entertainment center for our 13" TV (we were using a moving box as the entertainment center). It was only five dollars. In fact, it was an ugly peppermint green with some spider webs inside. Wow, that was about 13 years ago...

I took it home, and painted it white. A few years later I painted it black. For a while, I have been tired of looking at this cabinet. The kids bump into it so many times with their toys, the paint was scratched off in some areas and it didn't look pretty. I want to keep this cabinet forever to remember where we started after we got married. This cabinet holds special value to me.

The other day, I was at a thrift store and found this;


I forgot to take a picture before I took off the back, but this book shelf had a back and drawer. It doesn't look pretty, but it is very well made and stable. I decided to take a chance and paid 15 dollars for it and went home.

Lots of... I mean LOTS and LOTS of elbow greese, I came up with this;



I have to say... I LOVE IT!! It took me such a long time to scrape the paint off the cabinet. There were actually four layers of paint, the black, white, peppermint green and a pinkish orange! Who knew, there was one more layer beneath the peppermint green. I probably lost some brain cells from the strong paint remover... but all the work paid off. I have to give credit for my supportive husband for helping me big time with this project. He cut out new back for the shelf, carried heavy stuff for me... Why is it, when ever his wife has a GREAT IDEA somehow he get busy too...

I couldn't wait to get up in the morning today, so I could start decorating the shelves. I went all over the house gathering "white stuff" to decorate my new found furniture. I alway wanted something like this to showcase my white collections (which more than half of them are from garage sales or thrift stores).

I can't stop smiling everytime I walk by. Now, what else can I transform?

34 comments :

  1. I love the two pieces paired together! Fantastic job!!

    blessings
    mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's beautiful. What a treasure and because of all the effort, it will mean more to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really beautiful. Clever you for spotting the potential and what a great job you both did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! I love how you've kept the white theme--very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful! Great job! I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is just too gorgeous. Love all the white. Great job. Laura@the mansion

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job- it looks fantastic! Were the little drawers part of the shelf or did you add those? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE this! It's so pretty and fresh... makes me want to find a couple of pieces and do something similar!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's gorgeous! It's been a few months since I painted some furniture. good thing I have a project in the works, just need to get started. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your pieces look beautiful paired together and painted white. I love the look. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Goegeous!! Nicely done! I have a few projects like that but yours tops them all :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! It's really cool. Don't paint your kids!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is GORGEOUS! One of my favorite transformations ever.
    So what do you do to keep your white painted furniture white? My kids always trash mine within days!
    Ps. your sister in law J. is in my ward!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, great redo. The finished product with the shelves all decorated looks so pretty. Those two pieces look like they have been together forever.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fabulous "hybrid" piece! Way to use your thinking cap. :) I am very impressed and LOVE the end result!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it. You have such a great eye. We are opposites in that you love the white on white and i love lots of color.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is beautiful, my jaw literally dropped when I saw the finished project. You are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks great! Again you have way too much talent!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW what a difference! You can hardly tell it is the same piece!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous! you did a great job. I always go searching for items like yours to re-do and re-purpose. Maybe someday my hard work will pay off! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW! That is lovely & stunning... I LOVE all your white dishes, etc on the hutch too. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is gorgeous! It makes me smile too :). Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Pam--Thank you for your comment.
    The drawer was a part of the shelf. I forgot to take a picture of it before I painted it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Absolutely delightful! :D You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's just gorgeous! What a wonderful project!

    ReplyDelete
  26. @ Cheap Chic Home. Good eye! I luuuve the white accessories. Why did you need to strip of the paint? Anyway, it looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks so much for posting this! It is absolutely GORGEOUS!. This is almost exactly what I have plans to do with my hutch and was having difficulty with hubby envisioning all the white. Now I have PROOF that it will look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks great! I love it painted white...and so smart of you to find two pieces to pair for such a great look! So glad you joined in Met Monday...would appreciate a link back to BNOTP so your visitors will find the other Met Monday posts. :-)
    Thanks,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  29. O my goodness. I never would have thought of putting things together like that. I am definitely going to be on the lookout. WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Truly genius! All your hard work and fume-smelling was worth it! Now...my first tv stand was concrete blocks and 2X4s...got any ideas?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow, that certainly is a beautiful metamorphosis! I ♥♥♥ it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. That is amazing! I have seen those book case heads at thrift stores around here a bunch of times, the next time I see one I am going to copy you. I LOVE it. Beautiful job. :)

    Blessings,

    Val

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin