Friday, September 11, 2009

Tutorial--Sweet Scarf for Little Girl--


Well, its tutorial time! Have you noticed in the morning and at night, the air is getting cooler? I created this for my little girl using the Honey Bun from Moda. Don't worry, just in case you want to make this with your fabric stash, I included the measurements.

You will need:

1 Honey Bun (you only need five strips from this)
3 1/2" x 50 1/2" minky strips
Lace (optional)

How to make:

1. First pick out your favorite fabric strips from the Honey Bun.


2. Lay them on the cutting mat and cut into 5 1/2" strips. The Honey Bun is 1 1/2" wide, so the each strip will be, 1 1/2" x 5 1/2".

3. The top and bottom strips will be assembled from 11 pieces. The middle strip will be assemble from 10 pieces. Lay them out and keep arranging until you like what you see. Remember to slide each row, like a brick wall, so that the seams do not line up. Look at picture to see what I mean. Sew each row first, then sew the long strips together.


5. I used a small bowl to draw a half circle then gave the scarf ends a round edge.


6. Right sides together, lay the pieced top and the minky. Minky is very tricky fabric it moves and slides easily, so use lots of pins to secure it.


7. Leaving 4-5 inches opening sew all around it.

8. Turn the fabric inside out then press with an Iron. Fold the fabric at the opening inside and pin it, sew all around the edges to secure the fabrics. If you would like to add lace like I did, you can do it at this stage.


9. All done! Enjoy the fall.



I came up with this after I did a Five Fat Quater Scarf for myself. Since I only used a little bit of the Honey Bun, I am now making a small quilt with the rest of it. You can make several of these scarves out of one Honey Bun... Perhaps, that would be a perfect Christmas gift if you have several daughters, grand daughters, and nieces.

I hope you enjoy this. Have a great weekend everyone!

7 comments :

  1. So sweet! That crocheted edging really makes it. You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You lost me at Honey Bun (the only one I know about is the sticky yummy kind you eat) but the scarf is adorable and I love to see your creations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Beautiful scarf and beautiful model, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a sweet project to gift with this Christmas. Love the crochet edging, it really finishes off the scarf. Thank you for sharing the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your scarf is so pretty and I like how you rounded the edges and added the lace. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simply adorable!! :) (And so is your model) I love the fabrics you chose. Stopping by from Kimba's party. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have just started sewing so I really enjoyed seeing the scarf. it is adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin