Sunday, April 15, 2012

Experimental Scrap Quilt

Do you remember these quilts that I shared last spring?



Well, last year before I started getting a series of procedures (so around September), I was getting antsy. I wanted many projects done and have some projects ready for me to do in bed... You know, those type of things. I pieced five quilt tops that time, and I just finished quilting one of them over the weekend.


It's rather funny looking huh? Here is the reason why... I used up all the scraps from the boy's quilt to make this. I had absolutely NO design plans whatsoever. I just kept on piecing, adding fabric here and there and if there were parts that were too long I simply cut it to match the length.

I have a love for traditional quilts, but I have been mesmerized by modern style quilts too. I wanted to see what I can come up with, with leftover fabrics. So, it was sort of an experiment.
Because it was an experimental quilt, it was also perfect for me to practice machine quilting on. I didn't have to worry about making it so perfect.




I know I still have a lot to learn, but actually machine quilting is starting to become fun. I am not so scared anymore!


There are a couple other quilts that I basted and am thinking about quilting soon. It is so hard to decide what kind of design to go with it. I can't wait to get started though. :)

11 comments :

  1. I absolutely love scrap quilts. I make mine really scrappy. To me that's what a quilt should be like.
    My Grandmother used to make quilts out of scraps of cotton she collected for free from the Lancashire (England) cotton mills. It was to save money and use what you had. She padded them with old chenille worn out bedspreads. I love this idea instead of buying fabric to cut up. Well done
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow the quilting is fabulous! It's beautiful - I love the way you've pieced the fabrics together. I made a crumb quilt last week for my dog. I haven't quilted it but I used scraps of fabric. If you get a minute, please take a peek...
    http://prettyflowersinthewindow.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/spencers-new-quilt.html
    Maggie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how it turned out! It's very unique, but you sure pulled it off! I love the kinds of projects when I can just not plan, and make it work as I go. They sometimes end up as my favorites! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a cute quilt. Especially considering it was an experiment and you had to just go for it. I am very nervous to make a quilt by hand or by machine. I'm also nervous about heirloom sewing. It's great that you took the chance and just did it. It turned out so nice. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love it, it turned out great!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like it, and I love the way you quilted it too, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this quilt and I think it is perfect for boys. It makes me want to start piecing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This quilt is beautiful. I have only made one quilt before and it was great fun to make. Because it takes to long to do I never seem to get around to making another (I do have one in pieces though)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like it! I'm actually surprised by how much. I'm not usually one for the modern quilts, but I think this one is really fun, and comforting somehow. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks rather beautiful. like sea waves and shore, and heaven/clouds above;)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin